When the water did come back, this is what it looked like for weeks.
Donations piled up everywhere. Emma and I went to the sites to "shop". She loved finding weird clothes.
I mean, who would donate a snake skin jacket and heels to hurricane victims??
This is called "secondary disaster". People had good intentions but donated very unnecessary items. They piled up in parking lots all over town and were eventually put in the landfill. I tried to sort a lot of it and get it to goodwill but most of it was thrown away. It was so upsetting. The amount of trash generated was disgusting.
Chimney Rock was decimated
Black Mountain revived the town square meetings. People would walk to the town to get information and pass it on to neighbors. The community really rallied. We all helped each other in ways I would never have guessed.
Highland Farms did a great job. My parents were very comfortable.
The police, volunteers, and ems playing with kids on the town square. We had volunteers from all over the country come in to help
A local camp opened their facilities and let people come in to wash clothes
Old Fort
Going to Chimney Rock
Ruth and I were the stand in "love" people. They are usually a large group that stands on the corner in town every Wednesday, spreading love.
Emma and I volunteering at the Ingles distribution center


No comments:
Post a Comment